Salt Lake Valley Emergency Communications Center (VECC) is looking for an experienced individual to fill the GIS Coordinator position.
GIS Coordinator Job Description
TITLE: GIS COORDINATOR
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 2017
REPORTS TO: Technical Services Manager
APPROVAL AUTHORITY: Director
CAREER PROGRESSION TO: NA
STEP RANGE: $29.58 to $44.37/hr
FLSA: Non Exempt
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 6 Months
EEO DESIGNATION: Technical
SUMMARY/GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the TS Manager, designs, operates, oversees and maintains VECC’s Geographic Information System (GIS). Coordinates GIS activities for VECC and between VECC agencies, Salt Lake County and other jurisdictions as needed. Coordinates, manages, and directs GIS database/applications development, definitions, maintenance and implementation. Manages and prepares general planning for the GIS system. Aids and coordinates, mapping, graphic illustrations, and related report preparation for VECC. Provides assistance regarding GIS information to VECC’s employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establishes, coordinates, directs and manages GIS database development, structure, tables, forms, reports and maintenance for GIS data for VECC.
- Conducts complex analysis using ArcGIS and ArcSDE in a variety of projects ranging from network analysis to address verification for trouble calls.
- Directs integration of GIS databases, tables, maps, overlays.
- Assists in the design and developing GIS training procedures.
- Develop standards, protocols, and convention which will ensure compliance.
- Coordinates and prepares general plans for the GIS System.
- Provides technical assistance in database planning, and in creating and improving GIS products. Including database replication and synchronization as well as versioning and reconciliation.
- Understands and is proficient in the use of ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Works with the Network Engineer to manage the Center’s GIS Servers and systems.
- Maintains GIS data for VECC’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and phone systems
- Installs maintains, and updates GIS related software, to include ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server.
- Assists in network planning activities for connecting GIS users.
- Addressing and geocoding within the State of Utah and the Salt Lake County addressing system.
- Coordinates maintenance of GIS hardware with TS hardware support.
- Coordinates, manages and identifies problematic GIS activities among all VECC agencies that directly effects CAD operation.
- Provides GIS technical assistance to VECC’s employees.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of GIS and CAD programs.
- Working knowledge of Python scripting.
- Geographic and cartographic concepts related to spatial analysis, projections, and processes.
- ESRI Suite of software including ArcGIS Desktop, ARCGIS Server administration,
Enterprise Geodatabase Administration, Network Analyst, and other third party
products and extensions.
- Windows operating systems.
- Peripheral equipment including printers, plotters, and scanners.
- Spreadsheet and word processing applications as well as ancillary applications such as Email programs.
- Basic CAD functionality.
- Database management programs, procedures, and applications.
- Safe driving principles and practices.
- Bachelors degree in Geography with emphasis in GIS, urban planning, civil engineering, cartography, plus four (4) years progressively responsible GIS systems experience with a GIS system, preferably with ArcGIS.
- Experience in basic GIS and Windows operations, internet mapping technology, and implementing an enterprise GIS systems preferred.
- May substitute a reasonable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and understand technical manual and instructions; speak in clear and concise
- English. Able to understand and follow complex verbal and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, users, employees, and personnel from other agencies and the public. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Act clearly and quickly in emergency or stressful situations.
- Successful completion of drug screen and background check.
Work may be confined to an immediate work area. Must be available to work 24/7. Employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, stand, bend and move along with ability to talk or hear. Ability to work in a standard office environment. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Close vision and distance vision with no color impairment.
Please complete an application.
5360 Ridge Village Dr
West Valley City, Utah 84118